Is it completely insane to try fit LVT myself?

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by drty, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

drty, I used Karndean skimcoat for the first time today.

I did the floor inside of our under-stair cupboards as a trial run with it.

Lovely stuff to use. If you can put finish coat on, you'll make a fair first of this, I reckon. I put it on with a plasterer's trowel....as tight a coat as I could but so I couldn't see ply coming through.

All the best.

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Any pics ?

3. Emmanuel

Emmanuel New Member

You can try it out, I would find a professional to fix it for me as the hallway is an essential part of the house that gets most footfall. There are many out companies like Tendy flooring Uk out there that offer a discount on both flooring and installation service. They can also beat any quoted price.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    • List
  4. Emmanuel

Emmanuel New Member

You can try it out, I would find a professional to fix it for me as the hallway is an essential part of the house that gets most footfall. There are many out companies like Trendy flooring out there that offer a discount on both flooring and installation service. They can also beat any quoted price.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    • List
  5. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Hi Spacey - hope you're well, mate.

LOL pics, I did about a square metre of dark cupboard space!! As I said, it was good to see what the stuff was like.

I had a bit of urgent work crop up (thank god), so the hall has been on hold for a few days.

It's totally plyed out....there are a few dips though. Overall, it's pretty flat, just a couple of problem areas.

As per another post of mine, I intend to feather them with a straight edge and the Karndean Skimcoat...then do the final coat (the actual skim).

You definitely reckon it's alright to use the Karndean Skimcoat in this way (on on the ply to take out the naughtier of the undulations)? Is there a limit to how thick it can be put on?

I think I might post this as a topic as well, if that's not overkill (aiming to do the de-bumping tomorrow).

6. Spacey

It’s a skim coat so not to thick in 1mm maximum in one coat but you can’t go over it several times if needed. Use a trowel to put it on and you can sand it down onece fully dry if you want

7. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Thanks Spacey.

Can or can't go over it several times (hoping it's a typo, and you meant CAN!)

BTW, someone raised a problem (not sure what) about the UIzin 2000s adhesive I'll be using. Any idea if there is a problem with gluing with Uzin onto Karndean Skimcoat, mate?

I can't have prepped this floor any better so far.....spent 2 hours this morning, fiddling around with the tiny (3 inch) step down from the hallway to the kitchen. Why they put such a daft little step in is beyond me. Bloody Victorians!

8. Spacey

Yeah typo

9. Spacey

2000s is a PS personally I’d never use this type of adhesive unless it’s for small tiles with strips or small piece doing design patterns
    Definitely not with woodplank tiles

I suggest you lay in it semi wet and not dried to a tack And maintain the room temperature around 16-18 degrees though out the install and 24 hours after
    Give the flooring a good roller immediately after installing

10. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Thanks yet again, Spacey. Can't tell you how much all your advice has helped me.

Oh gawd, that's not what I want to hear. But I will defo get the heating on (!) as you suggest before and after fitting.

So you're saying put it straight down on the glue - no waiting at all?

I did a few tests on offcuts of ply/Karndean - to make sure the open tub I was given with the planks wasn't watered down Bostik (I wouldn't know if it wasn't!!) - and those bits are stuck to the ply like they're welded on...can't even budge them with a screwdriver.

I notcued it does slide around a lot on pre-tacky Uzin......will rolling it make it skid around the floor and make it al go out or whack?

The guy on ebay I bought it all off is a fitter as well.......I'm hoping Uzin has got better recently.

Watch out for a new thread from me in a week or two 'how to retro-fit grouting strips'. LOL.

11. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Haha it sticks like it should but it just doesnt hold in the long run. Not saying all my 2000s jobs failed but the ones that I had to go back to because the customer said there is gapping was on 2000s or F46. I only use it for sheet vinyl now if I have to.

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

2 of the jobs we had shrink were on HT. we’ve fitted loads of lvt on f46 and 2000s and not had any problems so I wouldn’t lose any sleep about the adhesive your using

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

This is how it used to be for me, used it for years with no issues. Guess I'm one of the unlucky ones!

14. merit

merit Well-Known Member

When I say I haven’t had any problems, I mean we’ve had Polyflor camaro and colonia shrink on ps but mflor and Karndean VG not it move at all. Only way to stop LVT shrinking is make it better!

15. Spacey

16. merit

merit Well-Known Member

LVT can shrinks pretty quick from what I’ve seen if it’s going to. All vinyl shrinks and expands and at different rates. We’ve recently fitted a ground floor half on ps half on ht. some areas shrink on the ps and some areas shrink on the ht. more so on the ht than anywhere else but that’s probably due to temp. The vinyl is moving and the adhesive has nothing to do with it and will not hold it even if you have a magic trowel and roller. Or you’ve read the latest copy of how to put your glue down.

17. merit

merit Well-Known Member

We are only talking about 5-10 headers over 80 m2 but the rest is all as it was installed, on ps and on ht.

18. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Let’s face it, manufactures can’t even stop the stuff changing shape before it’s out the packs! We did a 40 m2 Amtico spacia xtra plank herringbone this week and the planks were completely out of square. I’ve been on Amtico jobs where the tiles have been so bad the customers have refused them and they’ve had to be re made. With some customers the smallest details count and lvt doesn’t always cut it

19. Spacey

You can’t obviously don’t use HT properly then

You’d shit your pants if you knew how much LVT I’ve fitted this year and not one gap anywhere

20. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Sorry mate but you’ve obviously not been back to look at your own work. I don’t know anyone that hasn’t had a problem with LVT shrinking.
    And I wouldn’t be surprised how much plastic you’ve put down, I know you love a bit of pvc mate ;)