Is this stair carpet fitted correctly?

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by TinaM, May 13, 2019.

1. TinaM

TinaM Member

I’ve phoned the shop owner and complained, sent him photos and said I didn’t want those fitters back. He’s going to come out and see it.. I paid £800 for the stairs and upstairs landing! It’s now riddled with staples, and still not right.. I could cry!!

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

What a mess still.

What method of payment you gave them?

3. TinaM

TinaM Member

Debit card... full payment for the carpet & then paid fitters separately .
    The shop owner sounded mortified, doesn’t understand what happened etc etc.. and yet he told me when he came to see the carpet after the first fitting, that the fitters often have to go back to re stretch this type of carpet, sometimes multiple times..
    He’s coming to see me / the carpet on Saturday ...I’ve just had a guts full

4. Rugmunching

Its looks crap and you dont need us to keep telling you that. Stand firm with him, time for no more pi**ing about.

How the fitter can walk away from that thinking its acceptable is a joke. I'd be telling them to rip it all out, take it with them and a full refund. If they dont play ball then its time to 'out them' everyway possible. The owner sounds like he's full of crap and excuses aswell making out he's mortified :rolleyes:

5. TinaM

TinaM Member

Thanks Rugmunching... Honest and probably obvious advice, though I’m really worried about going through all this again. Sorry about whining on, it’s not constructive.

Could I just ask a few questions though? I’ve been fed so much rubbish by the fitters and owner that I would like to know some facts before the owner comes back..

A). Is it normal to fit a carpet from the top downwards? To me it would seem logical to work bottom up so that the carpet can be stretched. The areas of stair carpet I watched the fitter do, he didn’t use a ‘ stretching tool’ at all.
    B). Is it normal to staple the bottom of each riser?
    C). Why would the fitters spray glue onto the upper surface of the underlay on each tread? ( which now ‘crunches’ when I tread on the steps and sounds as though there’s paper under the carpet)
    D). Should a stair carpet have the edges of the riser touching the wall ‘tucked in’ at all?

6. Rugmunching

7. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

Top down or bottom up can be used for different types of carpets,some are better fitted one way than the other.

My dad used to staple into the gaps of the step on a winder or the end of a run of straights but ive never done it and never had a problem, was just a precautionary really.

I put some spray adhesive over the gripper on my first straight and some on the final straight, so if i did 5 straights in one piece, id spray the gripper on the first tred and 5th riser as an extra precaution.it probably doesnt need it but its peace of mind for me, also some fitters will spray every step if they cant get the carpet to sit flat on the treds as they either havnt cut them to the correct size or are bolstering them into the crutch unevenly, sometimes it could be if the carpets stiff and wrinkly but then i wouldnt be fitting a pattern match carpet thats wrinkled badly enough to have to be sprayed on every step.

The carpet should just hit the wall flush for your stairs,you can gripper the sides on larger stairs that need a stretch on the widths but yours doesnt need that.

8. TinaM

TinaM Member

Thank you for that helpful info

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Look on the Nicf website for a fitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. TinaM

TinaM Member

Thank you, I will :)

11. Angie Brown

Angie Brown New Member

I have a very similar issue

The horizontal lines all wonky dip into the corners
    So wider stripes one end to the other
    The company said looks great
    They got a manufacturer ( Axminster) they confirmed not a carpet fault
    I said - must be a fitters fault
    We were told you can’t get straight lines on this style
    You would only get straight lines if a new stair case
    It’s the way the steps dip in the middle from use
    In 2 weeks I won’t even notice it

I said if I had known the lines would not be straight I wouldn’t have ordered this style

We had 5 carpets and hall and stairs cost £4200
    We paid £2000 deposit
    They advised us to order more to ensure lines fit and match etc

They said they would send the fitter back - I asked if he could avoid having a cigarette before he came as he really did smell ( sorry )
    4 weeks later not heard anything
    Now they want to get an independent company in that they will pay for initially then we will have to pay for it
    They want the remainder
    I said not until I am happy with carpet
    They will inform their Solicitor that we have refused to pay
    Like you we saved and bought the best and it looks awful
    The other issue was we ordered all new door grippers - 5 doors off hall way all different finishes - we understand diffèrent styles for what the gripper is joining but different finishes ? Matt & chrome
    I questioned this was told to get all the same would be expensive- shouldn’t that be my choice?? Again I wasn’t informed of this
    Can anyone advise
    Thank you x

Attached Files:

12. Rusty steel

Rusty steel Member

Hello, I've had a look at the post before you and your photos. I hate to say it but its the carpet that's made that way. It's a woven carpet, like a rug. You can cut straight lines on the sides but the Patten going across the width does sometimes come up crooked. Even on a new staircase there isn't much that can be done, tartan and lines are the worst as they show up. Silly but on a cheaper carpet you don't get this problem as the Patten is printed on.
    If it was put in a room you can see the lines running off and most of the time correct with a stretcher. This can't be done on such a small area such as a single stair.
    This should of been explained as a possibility, unfortunately I'm my experience most salesmen have never been carpet fitters so wouldn't know to bring it up.
    As for the bars in the doorways.. ha easy, different batch or box. If you get bars from the same tube and company they look the same, easy fix.
    Going back to the first post, gripper needs to go to the edges, fitted top down, and I would say the dripper gap was probably to big for a woven carpet.
    Like most good fitters, we need to see it to fix it or explain fully.
    Hope this helps a bit, woven carpets do come up like this but I would have a moan at the manufacturer. Also a really old wonky staircase would knock it out a bit as well.

13. Angie Brown

Angie Brown New Member

Thank you
    We certainly weren’t told this could happen
    In fact we were told to order extra to get the lines to match
    As you said ( and to my horror) the owner has never fitted a carpet in his life :(
    £1700 wasted

14. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I can’t see the pics but woven and Axminster carpets have a lot of play in the length. If you don’t keep a eye on the pattern as you for it and you just bash away at it with a bolster you can pull the pattern out. It is sometimes fixable but a wonkey step or uneven staircase will also cause any pattern carpets to look like this. I find loops they worse as they never made straight across the width so always look wonky unless your lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk