Karndean Gluedown Installed - Is this right?

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by simoor, Feb 24, 2021.

1. simoor

simoor New Member

Hi All,

I hope I can get some advice.

We had Karndean (Gluedown) installed yesterday (prev day 3mm screed applied - Uzin) to our hallway and have noticed that some of the edging strips sound hollow when you tap them. Also one corner has lifted.

Silicone was also applied to the edges, I was under the impression with Gluedown that it would be fitted snug against the skirting boards without the need for silicone.

I am waiting for the flooring company to come out later today to have a look. Just seeing if anyone on here has experience with Karndean Gluedown and could just confirm if they would silicone the edges etc and rate the outcome of the job.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Floorever

Floorever Well-Known Member

That’s rough! The fitter was obviously inexperienced. Get all of the silicone removed and lifting planks replaced at least. Ideally get a refund or preferably don’t pay em!

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Jeeeesus christ, the cowboys are out in packs this week aren't they :eek:
    Ahh man that's rough.

I don't usually silicon but I do get customers that request it, I advise against it but if they want it then they'll get it at a charge of course but looks nowhere near as rough as that. Always put on with a tool.

4. simoor

simoor New Member

Thank you both for your comments. The silicone is to hide the shocking cuts and gaps. From looking at the images, would you say it is even possible to fit Karndean glue down boards tight up to the skirting board and door jams without the need for silicone?

5. Rugmunching

110% yes

6. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

If you can't, you're not a karndean fitter

7. Yiddo1982

Yiddo1982 Well-Known Member

Did he do that silicone with his knee or elbow

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

8. Rugmunching

I'm going with the toe

9. simoor

simoor New Member

Hi All,

Some good news! The flooring in the hall is now perfect. The fitter came back and removed all of the edge pieces and silicone. He then undercut the door jams and did a perfect fit to the skirting boards. Really appreciate your help on here as it re-confirmed that is was installed wrong and helped me point out what should be done.

Thank you!

10. Yiddo1982

Yiddo1982 Well-Known Member

Did you ask him why didn't do this in the first place

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

11. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Was it the same fitter ?

12. Lambchop

Lambchop Well-Known Member

Need a right angle for the tile to sit flat against the skirting, can get some “roll” at the edge if you screed the sub-floor. I use a Bahco scraper/shave hook to create the angle and bevel the back of the tile. Good finish and full transfer of adhesive.