Laminate flooring advice

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by desti, Jun 27, 2020.

1. desti

desti New Member

Hi everyone I am seeking flooring advice and hope someone can point me in the right direction please. I moved into a flat last year which currently has laminate flooring in the living room and hallway, I noticed that their are some spongy bits/dips in some parts of the flooring in both areas, they don't creak just bounce if I step on them.

I want to replace the flooring with new laminate and want your advice, should I get plywood and underlay then get laminate on top or what would be ideal as ideally I want the flooring not to have spongy bits. Also how thick should laminate be in mm as I don't know whether to go for 8mm or 12mm?

Thanks for reading and any information would be appreciated.

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

All depends how bad these dips are.
    If they are in just a few places then it can be sorted without ply boarding the whole lot out but if it's quite bad then to get a nice flat enough surface then it could be ply boarded out throughout.
    You'll need to address where the bad bits are as it could be a simple fix such as fixing the floorboards back properly/packing them up.
    If it's a concrete floor then some rapid set mortar or screed will sort it out.

If it's the ply board route then depending what mm you use either 6mm or 9mm ply you'll need to take into account the height level after you have the laminate fitted especially of you go with 12mm.

I prefer the 12mm laminate, feels alot more sturdy but again depends on your original state of floor.