Lifted laminate and foil backed underlay to reveal...

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by EightSixteen, Feb 19, 2018.

1. EightSixteen

EightSixteen New Member

This.

1wLJW55.jpg

NxeueN6.jpg

This is in my own home and I'm not in the trade, just gleaning some knowledge from the forum which has helped me realise that carpetright are scam artists. I'm taking my business to an independent company thanks to what I've read on here.

As the joiners are fitting the skirting & architrave next weekend, I thought I'd get the laminate up today. After lifting it and B&Q's finest foil backed underlay tiles it's revealed this red/orange thing as seen in the pictures.

It's about 5mm thick, felt or something similar and it's glued to concrete floor beneath. It can be coaxed away from the concrete and seems to come away pretty reasonably but I'm reluctant to go for it as everytime I peel back a layer of this house it reveals a horror inflicted by the previous owner.

My Mrs is pregnant and I'm pretty much out of time and money to sort any unexpected nightmares out so I'm looking for any advice regardless of how obvious it may seem to yourselves.

I'm intending on putting down Tredaire Colours Red & Condor Intenza Excellence Deluxe but I don't know if I need to lift this or if the carpet fitter could put the underlay down on top? If I could leave it in place I'd trim it back to leave room for the gripper after the 18mm skirting has been put on.

I'd appreciate any help or guidance offered here.

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Uplift it mate or the underlay will ride on it and can cause bumps and distortions in the underlay and carpet

It’s just a pre backed contract type carpet
    Strange to see it in a house it’s more like what you’d find in a school or office

3. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Will come up easy anyway

4. EightSixteen

EightSixteen New Member

That's great news guys, I'm just about at my wits end with this place but glad to hear it's nothing more than one of the previous owners utterly bizarre decisions.

I'm away with work til Wednesday night so it'll be Thursday before I can lift it now but this has massively put my mind at ease.

Hopefully the condition of the concrete underneath will be decent enough to lay the underlay on and the carpet upon without any complications.

5. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Can't believe someone actually had that in their home. Unless it was used as an office.

6. EightSixteen

EightSixteen New Member

It's a mid-terrace 'Broseley Estates' home which was built in '79.

We have family living 2 doors down who've been here since the estate was built. Our house has never been an office or commercial space, 100% domestic dwelling only; so it's literally been someones living room carpet at some point!

7. Spacey

Nice :eek:

8. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

It’s possible someone may have been in a hospital bed and needed a hoist which is why they used a commercial carpet, but as everyone said uplift it all and get rid of the glue then as long as the concrete is flat, relatively smooth and dry you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. EightSixteen

EightSixteen New Member

The carpet is now lifted and gone. The concrete floor is in pretty good nick excluding one corner that'll need repaired tomorrow.

The remnant glue was reasonably flat but I've spent a couple of hours going over it with a floor scraper to smooth it right out.

Do I really need to do much more than that with the glue? If I'm putting down a dense underlay such as Tredaire Colours Red, is there any reason why I should spend hours chipping away at the glue if it's already flush with the concrete?

10. Spacey

Should be good to go now pal

11. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Just throw the underlay down and get your carpet fitted!