Lifting karndean questions about sub floor

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Tracy Kane, May 6, 2020.

1. Tracy Kane

Tracy Kane Member

Hi
    I have next to no knowledge other than what I have read but my brother put down self levelling compound (is this screed?) on top of our concrete floor to enable karndean to be fitted in kitchen diner. I think the fitter used latex and an adhesive before laying karndean. No idea if he used a primer or not. After 13years tiles are lifting in a high traffic area which has central heating pipes underneath. When on you can feel the heat on your feet. On lifting the tiles, the latex is almost all stuck to the tiles and there is a very powdery chalky dusty surface (cream or orange colour) on top of the screed (?) which is grey. There are cracks all over it too. Is this laitence from the screed? So does that mean too much water was in it? Will try and attach photos.... Or do you always get it? And should fitter have removed it first? Other tiles sound very hollow underneath so they don't sound right either. We are going to have to do a temporary repair but karndean tiles discontinued, though would be totally different colour. Advice on how to get firmly stuck latex off gratefully received and if we eventually bite the bullet with a new floor what should we use next time as worried about karndean again? Don't want ceramic How would sub floor be fixed? And what floor should we have next time.

2. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Difficult to comment, need pictures really. I would say with what you have said that the smoothing compound has failed. You will need to contact a professional to look at it and do it. Perhaps someone on here could do that?
    Where are you located in the country?

3. Tracy Kane

Tracy Kane Member

Thanks for the reply....couldn't load the pictures sadly as they are too big.
    Is smoothing compound the same thing as screed as my brother referred to it as screed when he looked under the tiles, the small grey bit that was showing under the powdery surface on top of it. Given its a small area I didn't think a contractor would be interested in the job...4 or 8 tiles? We are in Pulborough West Sussex, so on was planning on doing a temporary repair to tide us over. May have to buy new tiles if we can't reuse the old ones and accept thecolour difference. Someone told me about photo printing though. Has anyone ever heard of that, to replace old tiles? Someone Brighton way but can't find any details

4. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a can of worms

Screen shot your pics on your phone and then upload the screen shots that normally works

5. Tracy Kane

Tracy Kane Member

Here you go....and agree very much a can of worms....

Attached Files:

6. Spacey

Screeds blown
    Could be no or not correctly primed or If theres two layers of different screed the compressive strengths may be incompatible or could be moisture or all of the above

It's needs taken up a redone correctly

7. Tracy Kane

Tracy Kane Member

'Could be no"...sorry not sure what you mean? From my research assumed it was the screed...so blown means it was too wet? And what does incorrectly primed mean? The wrong type?
    Is it that it is chalky that means it has blown or the cracks or both?
    Right now taking the whole lot up and redoing isn't an option sadly, so if we try and re-lay to postpone the inevitable, how can we get the latex off the tiles and what should we use to relay? Someone mentioned f ball 1200 pro and high temp adhesive but is anything else needed on top of the powdery stuff? Or do you have any better suggestions? My brother was talking about unibond first whatever that is....many thanks

8. Spacey

The screed is not bonded

Could be no primer

9. Spacey

Basically its its failed

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Just get some tiles off eBay and cello tape them together. That will see you through until you can get a floorlayer to remove the whole lot and start again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Tracy Kane

Tracy Kane Member

Thanks, but I was thinking less temporary than that! And none on evay,We only 1 online supplier and he talked me out of it as the colour would be do different. Hence the wish to reuse what we have for now. can't afford to rip out a 95 per cent ok floor right now but get the impression noone will want to repair

12. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

13. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it’s a crappy job that someone will spend all day on. Stand back and think...why did I bother. It’s a diy job or a good one for that old retired guy that can turn his hand to most things. As a professional flooring company you don’t want too many of these im afraid.

14. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Plus there’s no guarantee it will stay down as there is a underlying issue and I don’t think you will be happy to pay someone if it doesn’t stay stuck.

15. Tracy Kane

Tracy Kane Member

Totally get that. Thanks everyone. So as a DIY job am I wasting my time trying to chip the latex off? Should I just buy new ones despite the colour issue to give myself a chance and what should I buy to try and stick them down? Your advice would be much appreciated.

16. dazza

dazza Well-Known Member

You have had 13 years out of a DIY job which isnt bad. Do it right the second time and it will last 25 years! Learn from the mistakes!

17. dazza

dazza Well-Known Member

18. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

So it's been ok for 13yrs then now its started to lift and screed has blown?
    You mentioned heating pipes underneath, does the floor get really hot?

You sure you ain't had a leak?

19. Tracy Kane

Tracy Kane Member

Dazza...it was fitted by experienced floor fitter (screed was done by my brother who is a builder) and was expecting it to be down forever so gutted.....Rugmunching thanks for responding, it was ok for 11.5 years, then 1 started to lift. High traffic area and you can feel the warmth under the tiles when the heating is on. We tried to glue it down with no nails but last 6 months ( heating on all winter), has got worse. No idea if there is or has been a leak. Would it have lifted before now then ,if it was just down to the screed? How can I tell?

20. Spacey

If you mean screed/SLC was fitted by a builder, be it your brother or not, No experienced or competent floorlayer would touch it without usually either checking it's sound and fit for purpose or more likely completely removing it and redoing !

Floor coverings and floor preparation doesnt fail by its self theres always a reason, or in your case by the sounds of it two reasons, sometimes it's very obviously theres a problem immediately and sometimes it can take a little longer to notice.
    Quick fixes are always that and dont last at all and are always a waist of time and money

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List