? Lime wash put on new parquet oak floor

Discussion in 'Wood' started by tim martin, Dec 22, 2019.

1. tim martin

tim martin New Member

I wondered if I could pick members brains? Just had a great solid oak tumbled parquet floor fitted. Went away yesterday for what I presumed was a final oil seal to bring out the lovely honey oak colour. We were out for the day so had given it plenty of time to dry but I was a little surprised on return to the empty house that the oiling looked like a lime wash. Thought I'd give it the night to clear, but no better this morning. Attached photos shows the pitted / tumbled nature of the blocks ( which we like ) and the almost lime washed appearance.
    Clearly not what we have paid for or expected. It has been suggested that a light sand will solve the problem. I really don't want to be unreasonable but i'm struggling to see how a light sand will remove what appears to be in the "pits / tumbles " to remove the stain without the floor being fundamentally different to what we paid / hoped for - but clearly i'm not an expert.
    I wondered what realistic expectations should be?
    Thanks in anticipation ( I appreciate I haven't contributed anything to this forum! )
    Tim 59870330104__FF6E338C-5366-4D3D-94F1-D93903C4E848.jpeg IMG_3190.jpeg IMG_3222.jpeg

2. TonyA

TonyA Well-Known Member

Can you let us know what the oil was?Also how many coats have been applied?Any pictures of the floor before oiling or of an unlaid block without finish.

3. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell, but it looks like the oil has been applied with a roller, is it an oil or hardwax oil?either way, there doesn't look like there's enough on,the lime washed appearance could possibly be unfinished wood. I would be tempted to give it another coat, if it's hardwax oil use a roller, if it's just oil, i would apply with a spreader

4. Zagor

Zagor New Member

Instead of using natural oil they used natural white hence the problem sand it down re apply the oil and should be fine.
    Not the best job I always apply with buffer and cloth or brush round the edges eh