Liquid Screed

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by Andy MacKechnie, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Andy MacKechnie

Andy MacKechnie New Member

Hi new to this forum and after some advice, doing a big refurb on our house . 1st fix done and plumber will be laying the UFH in a few weeks . Had quotes for liquid screed and there’s a big difference between the Gypsum based and cement based , Gypsum being a lot cheaper by £400 what’s the difference any advice appreciated

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Gypsum is a better heat conductor and dries quicker than concrete

3. Andy MacKechnie

So what makes it cheaper and why bother with a cement based screed ?

4. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

It's just cheaper to produce
    Also has be treating in a different way when it comes to preparation to receive a floor covering

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I would say it dries slower than cement but you can force dry it with ufh. It’s pretty soft and will need grinding and will need someone that knows what they are doing or you will get issues with levelling compounds and adhesives bonding to it. Also if there’s any wet areas it’s not great with water. On the plus side your floor will be super flat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

it’s a cheaper material and its a good conductor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Andy MacKechnie

Having had a bit of a read up on both types I think I’m going to go with the Cemfloor, bit dearer but not too many aftercare problems it seems
    Thanks for the reply

8. Trimmer

Trimmer Well-Known Member

Gypsum is becoming popular because it can be applied thinner, hence can dry quicker but only if the laitence is removed soon after its been poured. As said, its good for heat transfer and can be force dryed.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

9. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Well-Known Member

We do a lot of anhydrite floors up my way.
    99% of screed firms don’t remove the latience, so we have to do it prior to any levelling works.
    Came across our first cemfloor one just recently.
    Floor was in no way flat, gonna need prob same amount of prep works as an anhydrite tbf.
    Personally think it comes down to the individual firm as to the quality of finish.
    Good luck regardless and let us know how you get on