Liquid screed

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Southwest88, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Southwest88

Southwest88 Member

Hi all, I had my extension floor laid 50sqm in July. Due to builder and wrong guidance the liquid screed in some places went down about average 75mm

it’s still not dry, they company who poured the liquid screed didn’t mention sanding it for the laitence, I have now done this and it seems to be drying better going white.

only reason I found out was because I had installed half of the flooring luckily click and saw the floor had changed colour.

nobody around me has a meter to do a reading. How ever I have been given advice to purchase Uzin pe404 give it two coats and lay my floor as it acts as a moisture suppression.

the room has bifolds which has been opened, also air con and a de humidifier at night.

is this normal for screen to take this long? I haven’t had a very good journey with the screed company it seems as they all just take your money and run.
    I am based in the new forest. Any advice or guidance much appreciated

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

If your using a clic you can lay down a isolator sheet and install the clic over that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Southwest88

Southwest88 Member

Hi
    hi mate thanks for that, I have got the Uzin 404 got delivered today will this do the same job? As the isolator sheet?

4. LKAB Gypsol Alan Jackson

LKAB Gypsol Alan Jackson Well-Known Member

the UZIN PE404 is a liquid Damp Proof Membrane which will basically supress the moisture from exitting the screed. do you hav eunderfloor heating. Has this been comissioned and run. fro experience with non contact isolator sheets e.g. polythene membranes you can get sweating and mould issues.

5. Southwest88

Southwest88 Member

No underfloor heating sorry

6. Southwest88

Southwest88 Member

How ever it has been plastered etc so The gap Whwre that is moisture could escape?

7. LKAB Gypsol Alan Jackson

Actually the fact theres no heating makes it easier as most DPMs are not suitable for heated screeds so you end up taking a chance.

Do you know what type of liquid screed it is?

8. LKAB Gypsol Alan Jackson

Actually the fact theres no heating makes it easier as most DPMs are not suitable for heated screeds so you end up taking a chance.

Do you know what type of liquid screed it is?

9. Southwest88

Southwest88 Member

I was told anhydrate?

10. LKAB Gypsol Alan Jackson

Ok I thought it would be. For the pe404 the screed needs to be below 95% rh which will be about 7 to 14 days old. Maybe 21 days at 75mm in cold weather. Youll need to give it a light sand to open up the texture a bit on the surface to provide a key and a bit of suction. A bit like sanding your woodwork before you paint it. It needs to be reasonably absorbent for the primer to soak in. You can test this using a small drop of water. Put the water on the screed and if it soaks in within seconds it's good. Give it a damned good vacuum. Then put on the 404 in line with the instructions. From memory you put it on with a brush orca lint free roller with a nice even coat and dont allow it to pool. Allow to cure for 60 mins then apply a second coat. Work right up to the edges... dont worry about that "gap" to allow the moisture out, it doesn't need to. All pretty straight forward stuff

11. Southwest88

Southwest88 Member

Many thanks for the advice!! Will get on this tmo after work’

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yeah and get your windows open as it’s a carcinogen product like most PUs

13. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Sorry only just seen that it’s anhydrate. You Can’t use isolator and 404 can only be used if it’s below 85% rh. In other words you need to let it dry out

14. Southwest88

Southwest88 Member

Thanks for the advice I will keep it drying out for a bit longer it’s been down since July! But not dry utter joke!!

15. LKAB Gypsol Alan Jackson

Pe 404 can be used at 95% on anhydrite. Not sure where you get the 85% from. None of the anhydrite in the UK have ever said DPM at 85. Gyvlon used to say 87% and Gypsol say 92% for traditional epoxy DPMs. Uzin, norcros, ardex and forbo and probably others all have systems suitable for 95%.

16. LKAB Gypsol Alan Jackson

Urethane is a suspected carcinogen (not proven in humans). Polyurethane is a different chemical and is inert and considered harmless.

17. LKAB Gypsol Alan Jackson

Why wait?

18. Southwest88

Southwest88 Member

Good point …. I guess it should be below 95% after nearly 3 months of being down ?

19. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Not according to the data sheet

20. merit

merit Well-Known Member

These floors need to dry out in my opinion. They don’t like moisture and fast track systems are ok for tiling but wood and vinyl not so sure.