LVT on stairs

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Michelle123, Dec 20, 2022.

1. Michelle123

Michelle123 Member

Sorry I’m not allowed to post images or links

I have a very standard new build set of stairs.
    Can I lay LVT and bull noses on this myself as an average diyer
    Or is it a job better suited to a professional?
    If professional how much would I expect to pay?

thanks

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

100% Pro of you've never done it before but I'd imagine if you was to do it yourself and follow the correct procedure then you as a diy-er could spend the week taking your time but I wouldn't recommend it...

Standard straight stairs going rate from where I'm from is anything between £400 - £500 labour only!!

3. Michelle123

Michelle123 Member

Great stuff
    Thanks for the advice

yeah I’m not gunna be spending a week on that and i havnt looked into how to do it

in my head I’m thinking :
    1.lvt plank cut to size
    2.Glued down
    3. Bull nose cut to size
    4. Glued down
    But I tend to oversimplify jobs and kick myself when I’m half way through and sussing out how hard it was

I think I’ll get a quote off some pros up here in Teesside after Xmas when hopefully work is quieter

out of interest was your estimate based on front and top of stairs done and if so is it cheaper to just do tops and paint fronts

thanks

Thanks

4. Benjabloodymino

Benjabloodymino Well-Known Member

It's getting the longevity on the nosing for me. The LVT will stick lovely but at some point you have to cover the joint to the riser with something and the sticky right angles just aren't up to it. That's going to leave you needing decent nosings, which in turn means you'll have to level with ply and just makes the job more expensive and fiddly. That's why a professional job is expensive.

It wouldn't make a huge difference to your quote not doing the risers (fronts) if I was quoting, as the main fuss is in the nosings. Short of slightly less material cost, the labour would stay the same.

5. Michelle123

Michelle123 Member

Thanks for all of the useful information
    I appreciate you taking the time