Manufacturers and prices

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Ivo Stefanov, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Ivo Stefanov

Ivo Stefanov New Member

Hello,

I am in the process of building a house and am learning a lot of stuff on the fly as pretty much everything is new to me. I am currently on the flooring part and am facing a large discrepancy between different manufacturers that I cannot really explain to myself.

I am currently discussing the cement coverage over the heating pipes with various people and it seems that pretty much everyone (at least here in Bulgaria) is doing it with some Knauf product that I forgot the exact number of. Everyone except one provider, that insists on using Uzin NC-something and they say they are not working with any other brand, ever. So the thing is that there are a few points that make me really wonder what is actually going on:

1. Nobody from the Knauf guys has ever heard of Uzin as a company at all .. which is odd, because it seems like a pretty big one, definitely not your boutique shop.

2. The price that I am seeing for getting everything done with the Knauf stuff is like times less than just the materials for the Uzin flooring. I checked the price of NC 191 on a few sites and it seems that the provider is not adding much on top of what I can find on the Internet (delivery to Bulgaria will likely even make it more expensive than what they are giving me), so their price seems fair, at least for the materials used.
    For the Knauf product, materials + doing the actual work costs approximately 2/3 of the price of a single 25 kg bag of the Uzin flooring per square meter, no work included.

That is a bit too much of a discrepancy to me. I am not confusing quality with price, but still having just the raw materials cost a lot more than the materials AND the execution itself means that either they are totally not in the same bucked quality-wise or that I am missing something major along the way. I am looking for the highest quality product, but am totally lost.

Any advice or opinion is appreciated.

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

In the uk the main ones are ardex , fball , uzin.
    not sure outside the uk though