New Self Levelling Floor

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by James Herbert, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

15mm thick karndean?? o_O

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

It's also worth noting that Karndean flooring is known for its durability and resistance to water and scratches.

no it’s not

3. James Herbert

James Herbert Member

Can anyone advise how clean my Matt finish porcelain tiles need to be before priming before self levelling? I have cleaned them 3 times but I reckon there is some engrained dirt in the tile as when I really scrub they do get a bit cleaner. Do they have to be taken back to like with a good scrub and strong floor cleaner or is a good going over with a mop a few times sufficient?
    Thanks in advance

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Go over the floor with d-greaser. You can buy it at screw fix. Then a grit primer before latex

5. James Herbert

James Herbert Member

Brilliant thanks.

6. James Herbert

James Herbert Member

I've self levelled the whole of my floor but I seem to have some very tiny pinholes left over by the roller. Will these show through on the amtico or should I use some feather finish to make sure? The tiles were primed with p141 so not sure why they have appeared. It seems as though the spikes roller has caused this. Any advice would be appreciated

7. James Herbert

James Herbert Member

I'm trying to add pics but it keeps saying files are too large!
    Having looked closely they aren't pin holes really, it just looks like marks from the spikes roller.

8. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Give it a rub down once fully dried then if it’s small marks in the screed use some feather finish to smooth out, you’ll need a carborundum stone otherwise it will shadow through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. James Herbert

James Herbert Member

Thanks for that. So use the stone on the feather finish if I need to apply it? Is it imperative to use a stone or will sanding pads do? I've got a drywall sander I was going to use, would that be no good then?

10. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Give it a sand 1st. Forget the stone you won’t need it. Then scratch feather finish on the floor.