Newly fitted stair carpet coming loose/fraying?

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by gazdavtom, Jul 14, 2020.

1. gazdavtom

gazdavtom Member

Hi,

Be really grateful if someone out there can offer some advice on this! I had new carpet fitted on my stairs and landing Jan/Feb this year and it now seems to be coming loose at the edge. Just by looking at the pictures can anyone tell me why this might be the case?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

Looks to me like something may have caught it and pulled the thread.

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Hoover??

4. gazdavtom

gazdavtom Member

Thanks for your responses. As far as I’m aware it hasn’t been caught or hoovered. I can’t say 100%. No chance of bad workmanship?

5. Rugmunching

Loop carpets can be a pain, once its gone there's no way back. May have to put a nice chrome single trim along there or some sort of trim to overlap it.

You got a picture of the whole length?

I would have folded it back on itself and pinned a nice even edge myself. Looks shabby

6. gazdavtom

gazdavtom Member

Rugmunching, I’ve included a photo of the entire length and also a pic of before it was fitted. I think the metal ‘balustrade’ was causing the fitters some problems, especially the wide base at the bottom. That may account for why it looks shabby. They did contemplate using a metal bar on the edge but decided against it. Could they perhaps have done a better job of it?

Attached Files:

7. Rugmunching

It can be tricky getting a smooth edge finish with the loop carpets but with alot of patience and attention to that finishing edge then it could have looked neater.

I dont use my staple gun, I under tucked/rolled it back on itself around the thickness of a gripper rod back to where I finished the underlay and hand pinned it just enough so it didn't cause the buldging effect if that makes sense. So I didnt whack the pins right down but enough to keep a consistent level edge.

I wouldnt have been happy with that as a fitter.

8. Rugmunching

It would have been awkward/fiddly fitting loop around them post bases.

9. gazdavtom

gazdavtom Member

Thank you for your helpful and insightful comments. What do you think they have done with the carpet around that post base? Is there any way to repair it/make it look acceptable?

Attached Files:

10. Rugmunching

In fairness there wasn't much of an edge left where the base is sitting. Majority of the ones I've came across have been routed out when possible so the base sits near flush instead of how yours is.

All you can do snip that loop off before it gets caught again and either pulls off or pulls further.
    They've done same as the other edge by looks of it. Needed more time spent on it in my opinion.

Was this done by a shop/retailer or someone you got in yourself to fit it?

11. gazdavtom

gazdavtom Member

I had it fitted by a local retailer. I wanted to get some advice before I spoke to them. My worry is that the carpet is going to continue to do this.

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

looks like a right pain in the bum. unfortunate they have caught the loop when turning. I dont like the stapled look. i prefer to turn it and hot melt it together.

13. gazdavtom

gazdavtom Member

Hi merit. The loops have only recently come loose. The carpet was fitted back in Jan/Feb. Do you still think they could have been caught back then which has resulted in the current situation? Or is it more likely that it has recently caught?

14. Rugmunching

Could have been a 'tucked' loop waiting to show itself. Slight brush of the hoover or anything that's touched it and boom its come out to play :D

15. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yeah, exactly as above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. gazdavtom

gazdavtom Member

I tempted to just snip off the loop on the corner. I don’t have any carpet fitters scissors though. How I should best go about it without making it worse? Could I potentially glue the other loop to the backing as that one is in a less obvious position?

17. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Stanley blade (new)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. frazer hipkiss

frazer hipkiss Active Member

A good quality chrome single would have looked better, and matched the stairs.

19. Rusty steel

Rusty steel Member

That type of carpet wants to fall away from an edge and can pull easily like a jumper. The fitter has turned the edge but right on the corner you can't do that, it's the way it has to be cut, so is a week point for a pull. Just get the fitter back, I wouldn't cut it off! A small bit of copydex and a bit of work should help or fix. Only other way it a bar around the edge to protect the carpet and stop it doing that. Same goes for the cut behind the post, a raw cut like that can be stuck but will always be a week spot.