(Noob DIYer) How do I get rid of whatever this is under my vinyl? (Screed?)

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by MadManMike, Sep 11, 2022.

1. MadManMike

MadManMike New Member

Hi all,

I'm in the process of removing some old Vinyl(?) flooring from our kitchen area (see pic. 1). However, there is a layer of something between the concrete floor and the vinyl itself. Is this screed? (see pic. 2)

It is proving quite difficult to remove, with a heat only slightly improving the removal efforts. What would you all suggest for removing this?

Google is proving a little tricky as I'm not exactly sure what it is, but if it is screed the general concensus is 'use power tools to some extent or another'. Thoughts?

Thanks all,

Mike

Pic. 1: The vinyl flooring - a pain to remove in itself.
    20220911_121329.jpg

Pic 2: 'The Stuff' - what is it, and how do I clear it?
    20220911_121336.jpg

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Get yourself a flat scraper and if it's loose it'll come up.
    You could use an sds drill/hammer drill with a bolter attachment, that would be easier than doing it by hand especially if it's a beast to get up...

Good luck

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

*bolster attachment

4. MadManMike

MadManMike New Member

Yeah this was one suggestiong that I'd stumbled across, but wasn't sure about our situation. Thank you for the comment, I think that's one of the first options I'll look into!

Mike

5. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Cut the vynil into 6 inch strips, it should make it easier

6. Adam Ribbz

Adam Ribbz Well-Known Member

If I was doing it diy and as easy as I could…take vinyl up, remove loose sections of old screed and latex-screed over the rest to start a fresh but if it’s loose enough…buy a chisel piece for Slotted drive system drill and set your drill to hammer, miles easier than scraping by hand and cheaper than a industrial floor scraping machine. However, If it is luxury vinyl tile your putting down and it’s quality stuff then get a pro in, you’ll probably regret doing it yourself, the amount of builders lvt jobs I have replaced in the past is unreal, and they appear confident and sometimes knowledgeable about what they’ve done. It really isn’t a diy’ers job, no offence intended