Price an issue for lvt ??

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Distinctive Adam, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Is price really an issue when selling luxury vinyl tiles?

2. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

For customers wjo really know what they want generally no, but the ones who just come in asking for karndean usually scare them s***less when they get a price.

3. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

I think the public are generally clued up these days on the price of most things & LVT is so popular now most people have an idea what to expect from a quote.
    I can't remember the last time a potential customer poo'd there pants when I gave them a price & I'm glad to say I get most of the jobs I price up

4. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

I've got a job to do on friday but Ill give them a price on the morning....
    Not had a chance to look at it yet...
    Is that the same thing as potential poopoo...lol

5. Spacey

That's called a captive audience !

6. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

7. Floorguy1978

Floorguy1978 Well-Known Member

Over the last couple of yeArs the lvt market has become a very busy place espacialy in the sub £20 bracket most of my work is to people who had laminate put in when I was big in the early 2000s. I tend to make a better margin on the lower end stuff than the amtico and art select etc due to silly on line prices.

8. Spacey

So you make more on knight tile that Art select ?
    You need to check your margins ?

9. Trimmer

Trimmer Well-Known Member

Yes price is an issue. Regardless of the quality and warranties issued, some customers will only go with a known brand. If you're the new kid on the block, you need the customers to become aware of your products.
    In my mind, you need launch offers, incentives to retailers and advertising to get the products up and running.

10. G.W Flooring

G.W Flooring Well-Known Member

In my humble little town 7 out of 10 people don't have a clue what an LVT is!

11. Distinctive Adam

I think that the price may only be an issue when it's for a straight lay as those sales are converted from either having laminate or sheet vinyl but when a customer is having a design floor done then at least from some of my customers feedback, price is not an issue. Knowing the products you sell, rather than the brand names will help too, with art select for instance, it's a nice range but there is better on the market for half it's cost.

12. oddbod_jnr

oddbod_jnr Well-Known Member

99% of my customers have no idea what karndean is, and when your trying to sell up from normal cusion flooring its a real eye opener to them how much it costs but i think the public awareness is slowly growing around here .

13. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Depends on the customer as others have said most if specifically asking for it have an idea on price range, those who say 'ive heard karndean is good' run a mile when given a quote.

14. Distinctive Adam

People know the name 'karndean' but not what is really is, which is a luxury vinyl tile, they know a brand rather than what it does, or can be done.

15. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I don't do Karndean but I'm guessing it sits in the middle. I find people that know/want Amtico also know its expensive and a very good product. If people ask me for Karndean or spacia I show them other lvt which in my opinion is better and cheaper. Only down side is I've lost a few jobs when I've been on a measure and told the customer what I think of Karndean and they turn round and say how much they love the Karndean floor in their kitchen!! Oops.

16. Distinctive Adam

Customer is always right !

17. Spacey

All my customers ask for Karndean probably why some people call me Karndean Kev !
    I see it as a good selling aid when people knickname me after a product But I was thinking of changing it to Spacia Spacey ? Has a nice ring to it...

18. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive McQueen ??