Problems with floor leveling

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Koko, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Koko

Koko New Member

Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I'm really worried re my flooring. I live in an old mansion block, so was aware that the floor generally is not leveled through out the flat. I am currently doing a full refurbishment which is coming to the end. My builder has put the flooring down halfway through the flat, and it turns out the floor is pretty un-levelled. There one area which is raised like a bit of a hill, pretty visible when you pay attention. When you put the leveler on the floor, is enough space to put my finger through the leveler. I am shocked as initially the builder told me the floor isn't leveled and that we should put ply throughout the flat, which we did, and on top of the ply we also added an underlay, so i expected the problem would resolve. He didn't tell me about the floor being wonky after he put the flooring and carried on, i found out as i happened to visit the flat one evening.

Fast fwd to now, the solution is to strip the flooring through out the flat, including uninstalling the kitchen, basically everything and grinding the joist, this means time and more money, and basically starting from scratch. my builder is accusing me of not informing him about the unleveled joist, where the original floorboards were exposed right infront of him.

The second option is to strip the laminate flooring and add more material to raise the entire floor to the high point (the hill) in the flat. When i asked him why he didn't do this before, he said its not his job to level the floor. for the second option the cost is £3200, for material and labor.

I don't know what to do. I have spent approx. £50k on a refurb and have wonky floors. My gut feel is to not give him more money look at other options.

Many thanks, your help is much appreciated.

koko

2. J d clarkson flooring

J d clarkson flooring Well-Known Member

The problem you have is a builder doing your flooring, get a flooring contractor in to have a look at it.
    Plywood doesn’t level floors it just smooths them, it could have been plyboarded and flex screeded before your floor went down to get it either level of flatter so you wouldn’t have this issue.
    If the builder didn’t know it wasn’t level what is he doing, should know if the door is out just by looking at it

3. Glenn H

Glenn H Well-Known Member

Builders who have no idea about flooring tend to ruin things quickly.

4. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

Never had i builder prep a floor correctly .that’s every single time ,they say they will prep for me to save them money ,even when I’ve told them how horses for courses