Quote query and cap and band method of stair carpeting

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by MissH, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Cormar Town and Country is a lovely product. In fairness a bit more expensive but as others have said when its the stairs you should look to put a good weight of carpet on as the lighter ones will show signs of flattening quick. As for the price you mentioned above, if its £450 its approx 14 square metres not linear.

2. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

victoria carpets Gaelic Heathers, Axminster devonia heathers, Brintons bell twist/duet, westex talana/major etc... better carpets which don't cost much more.

3. MissH

MissH Member

Hi all,

Yes realised it must have been 14 sq metres - I'd forgotten about the section of waste as well when they cut the L shape out for the landing! They didn't leave me any details of what the product was or anything or actual costings but even doing a few searches and from what you guys on here say I know I can get a better product for the same price.

So, in linear metres of 4m wide carpet I would need 3.5metres? And would you reccomend Duralay Treadmore? Does this come in different widths? What width should be used for stairs? Do I need to buy for the riser section of the stairs which aren't walked on??

How much extra do fitters charge for stairs like mine i.e. straight (I more than accept that these are going to be more tricky than a normal room with more planning, more door openings at the top and all the fitting to each stair!).

Apologies for yet more questions! Will check out those other makes tarkett85 - cheers!

4. keeneno1

keeneno1 Well-Known Member

so true jambo, hilarious

5. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Yep you need a 3.5 x 4, underlay comes standard width and 99% of the time is 15m2 a bag, yes you need to buy enough underlay to go gripper to gripper on the stairs, its not worth trying to save money by cutting it short by 6 inches you will save max a tenner and the carpet will wear prematurely at those points, id charge a ton for fitting your hall and stairs but im doing south so might be cheaper slightly up your way.

6. keeneno1

fitted town and country today. nice carpet. years ago cormar did a nice carpet and my dad sold loads of it but they stopped selling it as it was 2 ply.

7. tarkett85

can't beat a good 2 ply

8. tarkett85

treadmore is a good underlay for stairs as is cloud 9 contract 8mm, but for a quality twist or wilton use a good combi felt underlay weigh a ton and the fitter will want more to fit it but well worth the investment, as for fitting i'd want £77 to fit + £30 to dex the edges of the carpet to prevent freying. You could get it done much cheaper although usually there is a reason for that

9. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

As Tarkett suggested Axminster Devonia is a crackin product and if you did go ahead with that range you could consider Axfelt underlay which is a really nice combi felt, pricey but nice and will give you the max feel and life from your carpet :)

10. Manny39

Manny39 Banned

How comes nobody has asked her how much she is prepared to spend. Sounds to me a funny customer who is trying to get a cheap deal who will be nothing but ballache to the fitter......Just my opinion btw

11. keeneno1

it was new hampshire.

12. MissH

MissH Member

Manny,
    I like to know how things are done that's all! I'm sure you're the same when it comes to servicing your car and boiler etc...

13. MissH

MissH Member

Just to update, I went into the local carpet retailer and spoke to the guy there. He said they would always fit the most cost effective way including the cap and band method or whatever it's called (he said this without me asking by the way). Underlay was the felt which is fitted as standard with all their stair carpets (they don't charge any extra even though it's much harder to fit apparently - like laying two carpets.)I saw the Cormar Town & Country and it is a lovely carpet so they're coming out to measure up next week.

Thanks again to those who replied with advice - it definitely helped :)

14. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Hope all works out well for you MissH. Hope we've been of some help :) Any more queries just ask!

15. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

16. NathanKing

NathanKing Well-Known Member

Noticed you said you would dex the edges do you mean just the stairs if you do why do you do this ?

17. tarkett85

always dex the edges on woven or jute backed carpets, not a lover of anti fray spray