Recommended Carpet type on Stairs

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Imran, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Imran

Imran Member

Hi

I am looking for advice on carpet to go down on stairs.

We have had installed Cormar Feather sensation in the bedroom and were considering also installing it on the stairs...but i am seeing now that it would possibly suffer from crushing and may start looking bad within 6 months.

Any thoughts on this type of carpet for stairs? And/or what type of alternative i should go for?

2. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

Generally speaking any man made carpet will crush down quicker than a wool carpet. Multi ply yarns and denser piles (ie a higher oz) will last better.
    A short pile, dense carpet is usually best. I tend to lean towards a good wool twist carpet personally for high traffic such as stairs.
    Don't forget a good quality dense underlay as well, a lot of cheaper (and chain shop) PU underlays are too soft.

3. Imran

Imran Member

I have ordered cloud 9 cirrus as underlay for the stairs. Is this dense enough?

Just debating whether i should use the cormar sensation (replacement) in another room and get a different carpet type for the stairs since these have history of delaminating.

What carpet makes do you recommend looking at that are 80/20 wool and twist type?

4. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Cirrus will be OK, I would have gone for the connoisseur 8mm.
    Doing a fair bit of the tomkinson twist ultimate/luxury wool twist lately, especially in the tungsten colour

5. Imran

Imran Member

do you know of any of the big sheds stocking tomkinson twist, where i can have a look n feel of it?

6. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

On stairs we are using Treadaire chromium 9mm now. Amazing underlay 180kg density.
    Carpet on stairs if not a wool we sell Victoria heartland or impressions

7. Simon Grimley

For underlay I’m using Caviar and Crystal these days. Think it’s 176kg density.

If you’re set on man made. Victoria Heartland or Freedom Extra are decent.

For wool Tudor Twist is good or look at Luxury Twist (Think it’s Thomas Witter from memory) for a more affordable wool blend.

8. crazydaze

crazydaze Active Member

Tudor Twist is a Victoria Carpets Product.

9. Simon Grimley

Yes it is. I didn’t say that as I’d just mentioned them above for man made.
    Luxury twist isn’t though.
    Apologies if that confused anyone.