Recommended or favourite glue down LVT?

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Catflap, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Catflap

Catflap Member

That may vary a bit depending on how big an area you have and what needs doing but very very roughly I reckon you can add £30-£35 a metre to prep and fit going on a quote I’ve had. That should give you a rough idea of the total cost.

2. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Depends on how involved the fitting is, what prep work is required and what part of the country you live in, generally speaking central London will cost more than Huyton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Distinctive are about to launch the .70.

4. Arla

Arla Active Member

However have Distinctive lost their edge as they don't stock mFlor?

5. Distinctive Adam

Yes In my opinion. Premium woods by harvey Maria are .70.

6. Catflap

Catflap Member

I’ve got samples of both the Westex and the new Distinctive. Both are 0.7 wear layers but they are not the same product as the Westex is thicker overall (3mm) and the finish is different. I like the look of them both though but the Westex more. Also got the QA and Vusta samples along with a load of spacia and Van Gogh samples - nearly enough now to near do my floor ;) not sure it’s helping though as I change my mind every five minutes on which one I like best.

7. Arla

Arla Active Member

Where did you get your westex lvt sample from?

So what is the best process if I don't have a fitter lined up? I would rather the fitter supply and fits everything or I just buy the LVT and he supplies and fits the rest?

8. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

To many LVTs on the band wagon these days :rolleyes:

9. Arla

Arla Active Member

Aint that the truth. Its why consumers then just go with whoever has the best marketing which may not necessarily be the best product.

Most people don't have a "floor guy" they know unlike say electricians, plumbers etc which they tend to call on more often.

10. Spacey

You'll most likely find any retailer that supplies an LVT brand like westex distinctive Polyflor or simlar ( not knocking them) are predominantly carpet retailers jumping on the LVT band wagon and can't or have missed the direct account boat for the big boy LVT suppliers Amtico and Karndean
    More established LVT retailers supplying The big names will more than likely have been doing so for many years and have built up the experience and knowledgeable and as importantly a team of skillful experienced installers to do the job right and give you piece of mind in your investment rather than a prima donna carpet slasher rocking up with potentially a hook knife and a heat gun going off design plans and specs from a carpet guestermater

An experienced independent LVT supplier who can provide a full supply and installation service with good references would also be a good way to go

Not to tarnish all with the same brush either way something to consider

11. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Not exactly true, we dropped both Karndean and Amtico because the quality control was awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Distinctive Adam

I always found the new guys that didn’t have amtico or karndean really good to deal with and then the ones that were established always came running when interest grew etc, there’s only 4 suppliers worldwide that can create print film, but hundreds of so called lvt suppliers, it’s a mind field, good luck.

13. Catflap

Catflap Member

Just ordered them off the Westex website. Think you can have three for free. Warning though they are not very big, but you get an idea of the colour / pattern I suppose.

14. Floorever

Floorever Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more! Amtico and Karndean are absolutely s**t compared to how they were upto 10 years ago :(:eek:

15. Catflap

Catflap Member

Yeah but they’ve got the nicest brochures by far... :D

16. Arla

Arla Active Member

I was going to mention this exact thing. The guys who seem to list westex etc LVT are definitely carpet showrooms first and foremost and have by the looks of it added LVT, however I would not know what the quality of their fitters is like.

The guys who stock Karndean etc probably have access to the best fitters, So consumers are between a rock and a hard place - if they like the quality and price of say Westex they won't get the quality fitters. The holy grail is finding an independent fitter who can supply and fit the LVT you like.

17. Catflap

Catflap Member

One of my local showrooms who have been selling LVT for 10+ years have the Westex (also Amtico, Karndean and Vusta). They were pretty keen on the Vusta at its price point but did point out it came in limited colours and one smallish plank size so if that was ok then it was a good option. Said they have had it in their house For 10 years with no issues. After that they went for Van Gogh or spacia. The Westex wasn’t even mentioned until I asked about it. They have never fitted it and thought it was a bit expensive compared to the others, but if they aren’t pushing it I guess people probably aren’t buying it. I did like the look and feel of it though.
    Anyway will hopefully have some actual quotes in the next week or so and then the big decision will need to be made. Can’t even decide on the exact colour yet so going to be a bit tricky :)

18. Spacey

Westex LVT is brand new on the market only @dazlight has fitted it :rolleyes:

19. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

It’s decent the westex LVT. Fitted a few jobs in it now

20. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

Iv fitted the westex a few times and vusta loads . Like them both but I’m not keen on the huge plank size of the westex
    Iv always been a fan of smaller planks
    The vusta has couple of dif specs to choose from 2.5mm thick and 0.5 and 3mm and 0.55