Same old same old

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by TonyA, Sep 24, 2013.

1. TonyA

TonyA Well-Known Member

i know we've been over this somewhere but i can't find the results i want?
    I have just got back from hols & have to start a job tomorrow.I have a Tramex CME Expert what is a safe reading to lay marmoleum on.I took readings 2 to 3 weeks ago they were 4.5% max i told them to get the air circulating with some heat. I know this will be lower now,what's good too go?I am meeting the surveyor at 8am he does not want a surface DPM unless we have readings above recomendation.

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Same as all resilient flooring ?

Reading should be 75%rh or under or a DPM is required

3. TonyA

TonyA Well-Known Member

Thanks Spacey
    But the Tramex doesn't read in RH it reads as a % with 6.9% as saturation.Thanks again for your input thou.
    Tony

4. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Well-Known Member

Sorry mate but spacey is right
    its %rh or it doesn't count
    You can get the digi hygro boxes for about £100 or so that will do the job spot on
    you'll get a 'rough reading' from the saturation % but for a 100% accurate 'in court' reading its gotta be RH%

5. Spacey

As above !

6. TonyA

TonyA Well-Known Member

I take on board all you are both saying but someone must use a Tramex & know what the safe percentage reading is.

7. Spacey

Only an rh% reading from a hydro box conforms to BS standards for measuring moister !

Ask Matt about tramex readings !

8. Cre8tiveflooring

Cre8tiveflooring Well-Known Member

3-3.5% for an old slab. But a hygrometer is the correct way. Tramex might be worth a call. The guys at Harrogate told me if its a new slab 75%, if its an old slab needs to be lower. I wouldn't use this way, always a hygrometer box. This was for the tramex meter that I brought from Floorskills- hydro floor kit. Can't think what meter that is.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

One from this range cre8tive Cmexpert 2 or MRH3 in www.tradediscountshop.co.uk
    I've asked Andrew Rynhart from Tramex to log in and answer your questions

10. TonyA

TonyA Well-Known Member

Thanks Mario,
    Someone from Tramex was meant to get back to me yesterday but no call.
    We have received our parcel, thanks.

11. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

There is no true conversion from MC to RH.

They are two completely different readings.

RH = the amount of moisture leaving the concrete

MC = the amount of moisture by weight in the concrete.

As a general rule , 3-3.5 % is around 75% rh but is not a true guide as every floor is different. The tramex will also read RH depending on which one you are using. However this is a 72hr test to meet BS Standards. The tramex reading in MC is only good to tell you where to set up a RH test while you live in the U.K.

12. Andrew Rynhart

Andrew Rynhart New Member

Hi All, firs of all TonyA, apologies if we were to call you and did not. Please send me your contact detail and I will call you when you are free.

We have been running a seminar with the National Flood School and a number of us have been out of the office.

When it comes to acceptable moisture content readings we go by the British Standards or by Flooring Manufacturers specifications. The British standards says that the ERH must be below 75% and most of the flooring manufacturers who specify the Tramex CME test say that the slab must be below 4% for engineered and vinyl or below 3% for solid wood.

We feel that the most failsafe test is a combination of mapping with the Tramex CME and ERH readings.

As Cre8tive flooring mentioned, the British standards are meant for new slabs which are drying, if it is an old slab the ERH should be below about 65% or else there is a possibility that moisture is still being introduced into the slab.
    A completely dry concrete slab in the UK will read between 2% and 2.5% on the Tramex Concrete meter.

Here is a short video we made describing the different tests.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beFo3fupwVU