Screed cracking and sounds hollow

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Weronika, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

You serious??

Do you seriously think you can put a new floor over that and it'll be OK forever?

You need to tell him straight that's not a floor to be laid on simple!
    If he's not willing to fix it then ask him if he's willing for you to get it inspected and when it's deemed a no go then he'll have to sort it.

Anyone in their right mind wouldn't let their fitter put a floor down over that broken screed, you've seen it moving up and down, what do you really think is going to happen...

Anyway I wish you good luck with it, you'll have a bigger headache when your new floor is wrecked.

Not having a pop at you, just don't get why you letting him carry on. Don't let him intimidate you

2. Rugmunching

:D so he says...

3. Weronika

Weronika Member

We don't want to let him carry on if it's not sorted. But if he thinks it's okay and unwilling to fix it I was wondering what the course of action would be to rectify it or at the very least get the money back. In reality it would all need digging up which is additional cost. Who would we get to inspect it- just like a second opinion?

4. Weronika

Weronika Member

At the moment where the tiles were is the only room which hasn't cracked...

5. AngryAndy

AngryAndy Well-Known Member

Sid Bourne, Independent Inspections, 0121 258 4124

6. Weronika

Weronika Member

New cracks

7. Weronika

Weronika Member

Tried to post a video of a new crack-it's the worst one so far and it moves a lot and sounds like broken glass . We've sent it to the guy and he said to stop worrying about it.

We called him and he said screed hasn't blown because it's 30mm and on DPM... He said if anything is blown it's the floor underneath...

We knew the bitumen floor is a bit of a nightmare and asked if it should be dug up or can be leveled over and he advised to leave it and level over it.

Whenever we raised that bitumen is known for being difficult to get anything to stick to he said don't worry I'll sort it and it will all be alright.

Anyway he's meeting us on Sunday and we'll see what he thinks of his handywork then...

8. Weronika

Weronika Member

The only detail he gave us when we initially mentioned it was that he'll put a feather finish on the cracks...

9. Rugmunching

What an absolute fool this guy :rolleyes:
    So feathering the cracks is going to keep it from cracking further. You need to get firm with this idiot before he costs you a new floor and more expense when it all needs replacing and he's off into the sunset.

Sounds like he needs rattling :mad:

Tell him you aint happy and you've tried to tell him this but he's trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
    Next step is get a professional inspection, report done and hand it to him and go from there.
    His screed has failed FACT...amateur trying to swerve the blame so he aint out of pocket the prat

10. Rugmunching

Just shows how much of an amateur he is by saying it hasn't blown because its 30mm on a dpm lol...so the cracks that are visible are actually in the floor beneath it :D what a div

11. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Just to be clear bitumen is not a nightmare to go over. We do plenty with no failures

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

30mm over a dpm. That’s why it’s cracked and blown

13. Rugmunching

Noooo mate it not his screed that's blown, it's the floor underneath it, cracks are just shining through his screed making look like it's blown!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Rugmunching

I wouldnt be surprised if he starts lifting the broken pieces and glueing them back down o_O

15. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It’s the old…..my work is spot on unfortunately your house is problematic

16. merit

merit Well-Known Member

the glue holds it all together anyway mate

17. Weronika

Weronika Member

Just out of interest what materials would you use? Arditex? Also any floorer reccomendations around Manchester?

18. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Where is this and who done this floor ?

19. Rugmunching

The handyman who works in the post office by sounds of it lol

20. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Remove everything, grind off bitumen off the top of my head slurry, k301, dpm1c then prime and CL or k40 where in Manchester are you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk