Screeding over Paving slabs

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by RMG, Jul 7, 2018.

1. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

Had the mention of a job in a school where they've built and extension over some large paving slabs, converting outside space to inside space.
    The suggested prep work was a couple of coats of NA then a DPM then another screed. It sounds reasonable to me as long as the slabs aren't moving ofcourse but what do you guys think? It's a new one on me.

2. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

I would have thought dpm sheet, 50mm sand/cement/fibre would be better. A38 would be ready to lay on next day

3. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

Not sure what a38 is? They want a quick turn around so using concrete won't be doable over the holiday I guess

4. Neilydun

A38 is concrete. Mix with sand, lay at 50mm, dry to fit your floor/latex next day.
    We do this regularly, its a fast track system

5. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

Oh right... Well that's what's needed clearly. Guess they're trying to save some money or something. Whatever, doing a proper job with concrete and a physical membrane is just logical building process...

6. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

What's going down?
    I wouldn't be just slinging NA over it lol

Exactly as Neil has said base it with A38.
    Depending how big it is then be prepared for what seems like endless mixing :(

7. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

polysafe wood fx with acoustic backing, roughly 80m2. I guess acoustic because the children are autistic. Don't think i want to do this work. Atleast i can say exactly why and can 'advise' how it needs to be done...

8. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

If the pay is right then crack on mate.
    Aslong as they go down the route you will put to them. Just get a few lads each with a bucket and do continuous mixes (if pay allows) if it's for a firm then get them to send a couple labourers with you.

9. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

I'll suggest it and enjoy doing it if they agree.

10. Neilydun

I would just get a screeder to do it. He will have a pan mixer, and a pump, then its not such a job.
    Depending on time constraints, you could use standard screed. This could be delivered pre-mixed in ton bags, and dropped close to where you need itwith a grab, or on the back of a tipper, and dropped onto a plastic sheet.
    Your looking at approx 1mm per day drying time

11. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Try Softlay foil goes upto 95% rh and can be either used over screed and screeded over ! May help speed up things etc, been used recently for an outside space and worked a treat,

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  12. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

I'd go route neilydun said personally, way I'd look at it is the slabs are probably direct to earth and could cause a failure, it's not what you could earn on job but what you could lose if not done right first time