Scribing

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by BLINCO94, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

Must say im not a fan of dividers. I used to be and they work fine for me. but most on courses struggle with them and twist them while scribbing which leaves the cut big or small.

We no longer use dividers on courses due to this. We have other methods we use instead.

2. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I feel it's the most comfortable way for me. Each to their own I suppose.

3. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

I only really use dividers for measuring points I'll like to take the bar off my mini multi scriber & just use it as a small scribe bar so its more steady especially when I'm drunk !

4. Nk1

Nk1 Well-Known Member

Blinco, wat way do you do it ? Lol

5. Matt

yes each to there own, like i said above, im fine with using them , just we find that many people cant use them. Guess it comes down to practice. People new to flooring find them hard to use. Peopel who have been using for years are o.k with them.

Due to this we changed our training style to a easy and less likely to make a mistake method.

If i was out fitting a room tho i would still use my dividers if they was the first thing i found in the tool bag.

6. Matt

Well he has a few options now !

Let me just explain why i asked you and made out that i dont know different methods (i was not picking on you for a answer direct but putting some recent training to the test i have just had myself, just so happens i picked this thread to try it on)

As a instructor i have to keep myself up to date with not only products and methods BUT with HOW I deliver training myself.

Something new i have learnt (hence trying out on this thread) is not just show people how to do things BUT to try and let people show me what they already know. The idea behind the method is it will get apprentices to think for themselves.

The new theroy in training and delivering training is if a instructor / teacher makes it easy for students etc by always showing people how its done, the group will always go along with the instructors methods. The instructor is not getting the 'group' involved in sharing their own ways or better still there own ways of over coming a problem. (thinking for themselves)

I have learnt that if a instructor / teacher gives a scenario that they dont actually know the answer the group will offer there ideas on how to over come a problem.

Take this thread, it was never going to go much further than your pictures and the odd comment. However if what i have been taught is correct, then if i was to make out i don't know, the group will offer there thoughts. (which has happened here)

VERDICT- what i have been taught seems correct, i was dought full when told of this method but it seems i was wrong. I will adapt this method into my training of apprentices from now on.

So thanks to you all for proving to me that changing my teaching methods can be improved and have been improved with the help of you all.

7. Spacey

& here's me thinking you where taking the p*** ?

8. Matt

well i might of been? didnt see you answer to quick ? LOL

9. Spacey

Ha ha I was busy !

10. Matt

double bluff , poker tomorrow night

11. Spacey

is that why your rich ?

12. cramlington flooring

cramlington flooring Well-Known Member

Why can't you scribe in all walls Matt, we normally do by either marking the walls you have scribed and pull up the wall , or use a bent set of dividers, with either a pencil holder type or standard dividers and just pull it back a foot , and back mark the floor

That's what I do !!

13. Spacey

He can its Matt ? You need to read the whole thread lol

Double bluff