Should we accept this...

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Tubs12!!, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Tubs12!!

Tubs12!! New Member

Hi,

We have just had a new floor laid and are looking for some advice/help - floor is kersaint cobb fe04. Parts looks good however the real issue is the discoloration on some of the planks that have been used, it looks like the boards have been bleached on the edges, the floor company are saying its sapwood? I understand that there can be some different effects with engineered wood flooring however I think this looks awful.

We are unhappy as we have to live with this everyday but the flooring company are basically saying live with it, they will send out a french polisher to do the one in the hallway but not the others - its extremely noticeable when you first walk in the house (pic attached) . I have attached some pics, would like thoughts as they have said 'feel free to obtain independent guidance on this'.

I'm more frustrated that the guys that laid it left boards on site with no blemishes, they are saying that there is a natural random selection of these boards with sapwood laid out and not clustered. From what i can see they are very clustered.

On top of this the very first issue we had was the finishing off of the edges, they have said they will sort these out with oak quadrant again is this acceptable? pics attached

Help advice on what we should do please is very much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. John hayes

John hayes Well-Known Member

Don’t seem right,
    Why haven’t they put any scotia on?
    As a start it don’t even look finished.
    And they should should’ve made the cuts better round the legs of kitchen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

How’s the wood fitted, glued down ? Floated ?

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It is sap wood and it’s completely natural. Maybe you should of had a more expensive select grade. Personally I think they should of undercut the side boards or removed them. Cutting round is lazy and now needs to be covered with scotia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. James

James Active Member

Fitting looks terrible!!

The timber is what it is, if you didn’t want sap, you should of chosen a better grade.

Leaving boards out with sap in is okay, until you have nothing left but boards with sap in

6. vman

vman Well-Known Member

Dreadful fitting!

7. Freeley

Freeley Well-Known Member

I try and leave out as many sapwood planks as possible as I don't like the look, or at least use them as cuts so that you lose some of it.
    What I try to avoid at all costs is clustering them as they've done in some of the pics here.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8. lsjfloorworks

lsjfloorworks Active Member

Those side plinths lol.......Undercutting is only option for side plinths and mark n track saw the kick plates !! Why is the skirting not off/on ?? For the amount of sapwood, they could have probably done without fitting those boards. Maybe I'm a tad OCD :rolleyes:

9. brenchy

brenchy Well-Known Member

The problem here starts at the point of sale the shop they should have run through the grade and what to expect so you understood what you are buying and then signed it off so everyone is covered. Sap wood is natural and wont take a stain. The fitting looks very poor bad cutting looks like Bob builder has laid it. such a shame as this is a click system floor the could of taken some of the sap boards out without any problems when selecting.