Soft Spots in floating engineered wooden floor with underfloor heating

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Tcs106, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Tcs106

Tcs106 New Member

I have a floating Oak Engineered wooden floor (the boards were glued at the grooves but not on the floor) which has a soft spot that is quite noticeable when you walk on it. Directly underneath the wooden planks, there is a soft underlay laid on some chipboards and then a water underfloor heating system in screed. This is for a joist floor system on the 1st floor.

I've had this floor professionally installed about three years ago and I've only started noticing the soft spot in the last year or so. Unfortunately, the people who installed it are not in the country anymore so this is why I'm come on this forum. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this soft spot? I've heard of wooden floor repair kits such as DriTac but I don't think these would work for me as it is a floating wooden floor. Is there anything I might be able to try apart from removing everything and making sure the sub-floor is levelled?

2. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I take it by soft spot, you mean the floor goes down when you stand on it,is this through a doorway or down the centre of the room?

3. Tcs106

Tcs106 New Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes the floor goes down slightly when I stand on it. It's roughly in the middle of the room. I originally thought it would be due to a lack of a gap between the end of the last plank and the wall but I checked and there is a small gap there.