Solid wood floor that has amtico on top...

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Rugmunching, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Not long got back from a quote and its a fair size lounge. Customer want a grey flooring to replace the beechwood amtico that's already down.

Talking to the couple I asked them how long the amtico had been down and they said around 9yrs, they used to have solid wood down then had Amtico.

I talked them through the process and how ill need to rip it up back down to concrete then the bloke asked me if I need to take the wood up aswell which confused me until he said that a well known firm near me came and laid a screed mixed with bags of fibre directly on top of the solid wood floor then laid the amtico... I've never gone over a solid wood floor, always removed it but considering the amtico has been down 9yrs it looks spot on.

....anyway I gave a old fitter mate who subbys to this firm and ask him if he's ever screeded over solid wood floor to put lvt down and he was telling me the firm does it all the time. They been using uzin 192 fibre based :eek:
    I would have thought any vinyl over a suffocated wood floor would blow in no time....is this new norm o_O

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

That can’t be a good idea lol. Got similar one myself. Kitchen fitters have stuck down Karndean looselay over solid oak. Looks perfect lol. They want to change the colour and I’m now trying to convince them they need to rip the whole subfloor out. Staircase and kitchen all on top of it too. Nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Even pine floorboards are not stable. They cup and crown and move as soon as they are covered with vinyl.

4. Rugmunching

Ohhh S***, Madness, all built on top aswell. Good luck with that one lol

This lad was telling me ardex Af20 or uzin 196 is all they use :eek:

Sod that, I've quoted them for full rip out and judging by what the bloke was saying about the levels after wood is removed I wont win that job but I'm not fussed.

5. Rugmunching

I'm surprised this firm is allowing this, they are decent (well I thought they were) and are rated highly with all the lvt work they do so surprised their fitters are going along with it hence why I thought I've missed something!

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

They must just take the gamble or price it double lol. The shop I was quoting against apparently walked away from the job I was looking at. As soon as they see the solid oak they said sorry can’t do it. Get it ripped out and we will come back and quote.

7. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

It'll bite them one day

8. J d clarkson flooring

J d clarkson flooring Well-Known Member

Seen it done so many times...... quoted a kitchen floor years ago in altro..... parquet stuck on bitumin.
    Told them it needed to come up and ground and dpm etc.
    They went with the cheaper quote who used n/a straight over the wood..... it looked good for 18 months after they had installed 70k of commercial kitchen on top then it all ballooned as it sweated and it all had to come up

9. Rugmunching

Just an update on this....
    I got a text lastnight from them and they're now asking if I would do the job but they been told that I can ply straight over the top of the amtico :eek:

Guess who told them this?
    Yep their builder who is apparently the best in this business lol they even offered to get it all ply'd out for me.

Ive politely told them I'm not interested in the job anymore even if we took it back down to the concrete floor, im over it :rolleyes:
    You when you just get that gut feeling....

10. Rugmunching

*you know

11. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, when a customer accepts the advice of a builder,over yours, it's an insult,i would walk away too

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Most of them are just trying it on. Looking for someone to cut a corner for them and save them a penny or two. And if it does go wrong it’s because of your workmanship not because they are penny pinching

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List