Starting up on my own.

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by FloorCandles, Feb 4, 2019.

1. FloorCandles

FloorCandles Active Member

Hi. Been thinking of leaving my job recently as I feel like I'm being over worked and under payed for the amount of work I do. I have been flooring for around 4 years now and am qualified. I fit carpet, lvt, safety flooring and vinyl. I know I could make a lot more money on my own but I also understand it's going to be quite a big commitment etc getting insured, buying a van, doing my own tax and dealing with customers more.... I imagine a lot of you have been in the same situation and would be nice to hear any advice. Cheers

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

How old are you mate ?

3. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

I reckon about 22

4. FloorCandles

Yeah 22. I reckon you will say I'm too young and need more experience. You would probably be right to be fair

5. dazza

dazza Well-Known Member

I was thrown in the deep end after a year. But you learn quick and never stop learning.

6. Spacey

I was self employed when I was 22

7. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

You are ready when your ready. Do you know many shops you can sub contract to.

8. FloorCandles

Ah that's good to hear. I feel confident being left alone. I do the job better as well (not to blow my own trumpet). Did you get a lot of people asking where your boss is Spacey? Aha

9. FloorCandles

Yeah there is a few around me. I'm sure they would keep me busy, just don't want to end up with the typical, 3 jobs to do in one day with no idea about the job until I get there! I suppose I would have to live with that if it goes balls up

10. Spacey

Still get asked now :rolleyes:

11. burdman

burdman Well-Known Member

I went self employed after 5 years think I was 25 and tbh was the best thing I ever did. Good luck with what ever you decide to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. FloorCandles

Thanks. Think I just need to bite the bullet and just go for it. Going to use this year to save up as much as I can though

13. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

started when i was 15, self employed and on my own by 21, i still learn things every day so in that aspect youll never stop learning, as long as you can do your work without comebacks you'll grow as a fitter with time. my last 2 years of work have surpassed anything i could have ever imagined as that 15 year old boy who started.