Subfloor for LVT

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by ar87, Apr 30, 2019.

1. ar87

ar87 Member

IMG_3995R.JPG IMG_3996R.JPG IMG_3997R.JPG IMG_3998R.JPG IMG_3999R.JPG
    Hi,

We are replacing the floor covering in our conservatory and have chosen some LVT from a local store. We currently have amtico down from the previous owners but it is horribly scratched and has lifted in multiple places. I took up what I could before the flooring store sent someone round to check the floor, but it was very difficult to get much up as it is well glued down. From what I did lift, it seems we have a plyboard floor underneath but patches of glue are proving difficult to scrape off, and in a few places some of the wood has come up with the amtico too, so there are splintery lower patches.

The guy that came round suggested re-plying the floor (which they can do at a cost) but we would need to take up what is there now and see what's underneath (he thinks chipboard). As you can probably tell from my description above I am not a professional! Firstly I wouldn't know where to start with taking up what's there now and I am reluctant to tamper too much. My colleague said when he had one done, he levelled the floor with a compound rather than ripping it up and re-boarding. From the images I have attached, what would you recommend we should do?

Thanks

2. Mwfloor

Mwfloor Well-Known Member

Firstly it is a bit of a pig to uplift however you do it, but if you can get a few more of the amtico tiles up try and find the join in the plyboard and strip that up(should make things easier unless it’s screwed down).

IMO it’s always best to go back to original subfloor especially if the amtico is pulling up the ply.

I’m sure the shop would strip it up for a charge, if you don’t fancy the labour.

Tools: Mallet and crowbar/gripper ripper will do the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ar87

ar87 Member

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a go getting some more of the tiles up. I know it's probably hard to say but what do you think would be a reasonable cost to take up the floor? It's around 9-10 square metres, and almost a square shape so hopefully not too fiddly. The shop quoted about £150 to re-ply, in addition to the cost of fitting the tiles.

Thanks

4. Mwfloor

Mwfloor Well-Known Member

It really depends where you go or who you’d ask, but I’d think £5/£10 psm for uplift isn’t unreasonable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Waisting your time pulling up the tiles

Plunge saw through the tiles and ply into manageable sections Get a crowbar under it and it will fly up Hours work tops