Subfloor issue?

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by matticus28, Sep 29, 2017.

1. matticus28

matticus28 Member

Just wondering if we’re being fussy or we have genuine issue with our LVT flooring.

Some areas the planks aren’t level to one another so you feel a distinct edge with your finger tips. some appear to have popped up around the edges, and in several places the plywoood floor itself isn’t level.
    Any idea what to do to resolve these things? The flooring project hasn’t been complete, and has taken about 6-7 days so far(2 rooms and hallway) or were we just overly optimistic about what we’re sold?

Thanks for reading.
    36C8180B-2FB8-4200-9FED-65920A067DB1.jpeg B51E48E8-9107-46C6-934D-23172A08D100.jpeg AABD47B9-64DE-4E69-8E74-7D04D308BB52.jpeg

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

How thick was the ply ?
    What was the subfloor floor boards or chipboard ?
    What adhesive are they using ?

3. matticus28

matticus28 Member

Hi spacey. The ply was 6mm sp101 over floorboards that we’re pretty level to the naked eye (the fitters even commented on that, so no problems were expected there).
    They had issues pinning the ply down and had to switch to ring shank nails and gripfill, which took up the first 2 days.

The adhesive was uzin something or other, I can’t remember exactly.

Thanks for replying.

4. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Sounds like they used spacey's favourite glue....2000s :D

5. frazer hipkiss

frazer hipkiss Active Member

when a lvt is lifting on an edge, I would say its been cut too "fat", ie it just needs a slight trim. Have they used a roller? this ensures a good transfer of adhesive, if its a wet adhesive they may have applied to a large area, and it has started to go off, before the planks were laid, tbh its why I prefer a PS adhesive.

6. matticus28

matticus28 Member

Thanks for the replies, all - I don’t think a roller was used. They were just banging them down. The cut pieces needing a trim makes sense so hopefully that’ll be easy to fix.

I’ve just noticed one of the full, uncut planks in the middle of the room is starting to lift up now.

We contacted the manufacturer and they said uneven parts will untack at some point; not sure if that’s what’s happening here already.

04F3260F-7DC6-45CF-BDF5-4564919BB55D.jpeg

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Looks like your subfloor is too unlevel or they have left one of their tools under the plywood when they stapled it down! If it's unlevel staples won't hold the ply, that's probably why they switched to ring shanks. The whole floor needed a self levelling compound put down over the top of the ply in my opinion. Too late now. All those plank will need re sticking. Coming loose because there's not enough glue or contact and the floors in un even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. matticus28

matticus28 Member

Thanks. I was afraid of that. The fitter isn’t happy with us complaining and wants the 2nd half of the payment.
    Absolute nightmare if it needs relaying, with an 18 month who was hard enough work being kept in the bedroom while they spent a whole week on one room.

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It's along time to lay a floor. Surely they don't expect to be paid while the planks are lifting? That's a easy sort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Spacey

I can believe its took them so long

11. Spacey

*cant

12. matticus28

matticus28 Member

My 18 month old is now picking at bits where he can get his nail into where 1 plank sits 1 or 2 mm lower than the one that’s been cut next to it. I might find that funny at some point.

Around some tricky areas where they’ve had to scribe the detail, what sort of gap should be expected? One floorer who quoted said there’d be no gap at all, but I’m seeing more and more. 2-3mm in places. I’ve attached a pic as I might just be being fussy there(no gap at all seemed optimistic).

The floorer is saying they’ve done about double the amount of hours on the tiles than they possibly could have.

They’ve not been here for the whole of that time, in all honesty. Maybe they’re just including the times they weren’t here.
    Between getting here hours late and leaving hours early (or cancelling coming at all) we’re now going into week 3.

F3D1E1DD-7A6A-4A19-BD44-4E65D27F073C.jpeg

13. Spacey

Thats crap fitting
    Most undercut the architraves and slide the tile under but a good fitter should still be able cut around the shape no problem imo

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

We havnt seen the whole job yet but judging by the pics you have posted up I bet it looks shite to put it bluntly...
    Look at the cutting around the pipe :eek:

Were the tiles acclimatised?
    Whats the total m2 area?

How are these fitters justifying the bits you have pointed out? ....and they still want the rest of the payment aswell o_O
    Doesnt matter how many more hrs they have spent on it, it should look spot on...ppffffffffftt!!!

Why fitters dont bother undercutting architraves when they can baffles me, multitool takes seconds!

15. matticus28

matticus28 Member

Thanks for the replies (again) all. At least we now know we're not just being picky about these things.
    To be honest, when you stand back and look at it as a whole it looks good. It's just about anywhere we choose for closer inspection, we can easily find an issue. Obviously, living here we're going to do that a lot!
    They're due back tomorrow - from the sounds of things, they're quite unhappy that we spoke with the manufacturer and were quite angry with me on the phone. We'll see what they say tomorrow, I guess.

The tiles arrived a week or so the job started, but we weren't told to open the boxes or anything they were just sat there. The job is about 45m2.
    Seriously regretting having it done now. I just want them to get it all out of the house.

16. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Opening the boxes won’t effect the planks that much on Parquet.
    Did they supply the planks?
    Do the fitters have any certificates ?
    Is it Neobo planks ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. matticus28

matticus28 Member

They did supply them yes, or at least arranged delivery of them.
    I’ve not seen any certificates, we just didn’t think to ask that.
    And yes, they’re Neobo planks which look good to us, not sure what other people think of them.
    Thanks

18. Spacey

Well spotted Daz o_O

19. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

When they come tomorrow explain you aren’t happy with the lifting planks. The glue they used will be 2000s or KE66 see if you can find out.
    How were they fixing the plywood down at 1st?
    Neobo is a budget range to be honest. There are a few at that price point these days.
    Are the lads sub contractors or work for the firm you got the Flooring at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. matticus28

matticus28 Member

I think they were trying to use a nail gun and then switched to grip fill when it kept popping up(now wonder if if that’s damaged the boards underneath).
    Uzin Ke66 rings a bell, almost certain it was that.
    They’re part of the same firm. They quoted for the job, ordered the materials and are fitting it too.

Thanks, much appreciated