Subfloor issue?

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by matticus28, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Im thinking staple gun not nail gun
    You said they switch to ring shanks ?
    Nail guns for flooring fire ring shanks nails

2. Spacey

Im a big fan of Ke66 but It has to be used correctly and tbo if its not on Under floor heating Im not going to piss about wet setting parquet

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I'm betting if they didn't go in wet!
    Did you see them glue the floor?
    Did they glue then piss off for 15 minutes? (Other words, did they let the glue 'go off'?

If it was the ke66 and they did leave the glue down for a while before fitting on it then that's '1' of your issues right there...

4. J d clarkson flooring

J d clarkson flooring Well-Known Member

Well personally it depends on the agreed floor prep....... I tend to advise my clients on what's needed for the best possible finish and will plain peaks from boards or screed them out and overboard and go up to 12mm ply if needed but then when my quote is substantially more than the company who are stapling ply into what seems a hard timber floor. I screw all my ply so I know it grabs. The lifting tiles isn't acceptable really and not so soon after installation. Did you receive any other quotations at all

5. matticus28

matticus28 Member

Hi all,
    I'm not sure how long they left the glue for, unfortunately - but they did leave it for some time.
    We had a couple of other quotes, one was £2k more for Amtico, and that same person gave us another quote for the exact same flooring we've had done but their quote was slightly less - we went with this fitter because the manufacturer recommended them so it seemed like a good idea.

How long should it typically take to put 45m2 of 6mm ply down (without feather coat)? They implied it'd take 2 - 3 hours (they said the loud banging would be finished in 2 or 3 hours) but took them until the following afternoon. I've got no idea what changed or why it took longer than expected other than I know they were hammering the nails by hand (mostly just 1 person).

Screed was mentioned but the fitter said he was so busy he didn't know when he'd be able to come back and actually do it, so they're going to use a thick feather coat (he said it'd be fine, and by this point the ply was down and we felt we had to continue with the job).

thanks again all.

6. Spacey

15 1/2 sheets of ply in 2-3 hour ? Impossible Thats a full days graft

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. J d clarkson flooring

Like spacey says there's a min full day there if it's being nailed or stapled more time of screwing etc

8. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I bet theres not enough nails in it.
    If its the Ke66 and they left it for a while then spacey will hunt them down and kick their ass for you ;)

I did 16 sheets of 6mm yesterday and 25m2 screed and it was a good 8hrs without little break and that was with my lad following behind with the coil nailer and then mixing for me.

9. Spacey

You need a screw gun :p

10. J d clarkson flooring

I have one but I use screwtite screws and get loads of them in and then I know it won't budge..... don't like collated screws as find them to soft and don't nip unless you have any recommendations I can hunt for

11. Spacey

I think your a little paranoid Nothing wrong with a coil nailer for floor boards unless there really bad then of course some screws are required but coil nals get a good hold on most wooden subfloors

12. Spacey

Senco screw guns are pretty good tho

13. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

14. Spacey

Hows this comment dumb ?
    Explain ?