Tucking straight stairs?

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by stan1191, Oct 21, 2020.

1. nevertrever2

nevertrever2 Well-Known Member

When I was first starting out, brintons, axminsters and wiltons was all we used to fit and was told to always crimp on the width on stairs and flat fits, I had forearms like popeye, I know loads of carpet fitters and can honestly say I've never come across anyone who net fits stairs, when stringers are out you must have to trim as you go? It's got to be easier to crimp and fit bottom up, I'm not saying anyone's wrong I'm not the fitting police :D

2. Floorever

Floorever Well-Known Member

I must say.... I do the exact same as samson but I use a normal bolster as oppose to a curved bolster
    I always fit the gripper and underlay a mil short and vice versa with the carpet to allow it to tuck down

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

No it’s good to hear mate. Just the way I’ve always been taught. I never thought it would work on a Axminster or woven so never tried but will give it a go on the next one. Defo easier than trimming each step in. Done loads like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. FloorCandles

FloorCandles Active Member

Always cut everything net although I am going to try fitting with gripper on widths on riser and tread just to see how it goes and if see if I get better results. Might be overkill on straight stairs but it makes sense to have the carpet properly stretched width ways as well as length ways

5. Yiddo1982

Yiddo1982 Well-Known Member

You missed out and then silicone the edges

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

6. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

And don't forget to work against gravity and electro magnetic radiation by working from the bottom up, and use a power stretcher secured to the front door.

7. Robroy

Robroy Well-Known Member

crimp over edges if needed , specially on the risers it will then come down straight rather than slightly bowed in, all these methods obviously depend on the carpet , some carpets i would cut almost nett

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Done a flat weave today on a very old staircase. Crimped the edges and cut the underlay back and I’ve got to say it worked a treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

On a serious note, the stringer on an old Edwardian staircase circa 1910 or similar, can run out up to a centimetre between the crotch of the stairs and the nose of the stairs, and on each consecutive step, making crimping/curling/rolling and accurate measuring and cutting very necessary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List