Using Proplex under Underlay?

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by renovating, Jul 4, 2021.

1. renovating

renovating New Member

Hi,

I’m in the process of a renovation and taking more responsibility for doing some of the work and therefore having to learn what I can to do sufficient work for the job in hand.

carpet is going in on the stairs, landing and bedrooms.

I have floorboards upstairs that were rather uneven in the landing and in one of the bedrooms, so I have laid 5.5mm ply in those areas.

In the 2 other bedrooms there are cheap laminate tiles with an adhesive backing. The levelling in those areas are okay and therefore do not want to go through the added effort and expense to remove that and lay the plywood.

However it means there will be about a 3.5mm difference from the landing to those 2 bedrooms.

in order to bring that gap a bit closer I am considering using proplex (or something like it) to make up the difference. I was just going to use 2mm but could use 4mm too, just to get that difference to >1mm.

Is this necessary? will this kind of a difference be obvious from the landing to these 2 rooms?

Will proplex work in this way? Was thinking of using a spray adhesive to hold it to the laminate tiles.

Thank you for you advice.