What a day

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by bournemouth, Mar 6, 2012.

1. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

2. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

3. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Well-Known Member

well based on last weeks purchase id have to agree with yer missus :lol: :lol:

4. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

5. bournemouth

bournemouth Super Moderator

Unfortunately we all see it a lot and until they bring in a corgi gas flooring equivalent it will still happen a lot, is it that hard to have a card with your name photo and registration number on, you show it to the customer they make a note of number job goes wrong they phone the powers that be with fitters I'd number job gets looked at if fitted bad they have card taken away or fined

6. vman

vman Well-Known Member

Like, like, likey, like :D

7. coolevilangel

My sentiments exactly!
    Double likey very much

8. SandyFloor

SandyFloor Well-Known Member

You could say that about any trade. The difference is a poor flooring job is far less likely to kill someone as working with gas is. However I do think it should be illegal to work in anyone's home without insurance. I think that would cut away a lot of the cowboys.

9. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

depends if you leave them with lippage sandy.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. SandyFloor

SandyFloor Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that. I'm sure you know the tiling business is far worse than flooring for jokers who don't know what they're doing and undercutting good tradesmen. That's why I don't do much of it now.

11. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Painters are just as bad too

12. vman

vman Well-Known Member

Tell me about it, I've never seen paint come off skirtings as easy as it does on every 2nd or 3rd job. Slap it on, no prep. Easy money.

13. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

so, do you all agree that we should be passed of to a standard? like corgi?

reason i ask is the NICF have been around for years and tried to improve the standard but i think only has around 300 members. I think Carpet Right has around 2500 fitters listed with them. so i would say more like 5000 fitters.

How many of you are NICF on here?

How many of you have there NVQ?

If not then what is you reason why? is it something about them you dont agree with maybe?

Not trying to catch anyone out here but trying to work out the best way o try and combat the poor workmanship that goes on in the trade.

14. vman

vman Well-Known Member

I think we should have something, in Nicf, but no nvq. Would like one though.
    How much would it cost a Scotsman?

not sure mate. A fair few hundred i would guess :cry:

15. coolevilangel

am in the nicf, got my nvq's as well

16. bournemouth

I got my nvq but what does that really mean, some bloke came out on site a handful of times to look at my work I had some paper work that anyone could of filled out, and they then give me a card ( which has wrong details on ) saying I've passed my nvq level 2 not very hard to get one in my opinion although it mayor got harder over the years I didget mine in 1998

17. Matt

so 2 straight away have a nvq or are nicf.

So what do think the nicfs should do to promote to the customers that you attended a FITA course or are a approved fitter or even a Master fitter? For instance does a customer even know what NICF means?

What about the NVQ? Most know what this is, but should the manufactures push for installers to have it ? Is there lack of support from manufactures towards it maybe?

18. vman

vman Well-Known Member

Munufacturers and retailers should push it, after all it's there products that's being fitted and I'm sure they would want them to look and perform at there best.

19. Matt

This is one of my arguments. you have to meet the standards to pass a NVQ (dont be fooled by how easy you found it tho. There are some that cant pass the NVQ and yes its not as simple as it used to be. but still to easy in my eyes ) But at what quality? Me personally i dont think that eh best fitter in the world should be passed on a NVQ at the same level as someone that just scrapped through.

For instance when you was at school and did your GCSE's or CSE's etc there was different grades. A-g etc . Yes we has level 1-3 in nvq. But level 1 is apprentice, level to the average fitter, level 3 being some one doing site work with people working below him!

But that's how the government run things.

20. bournemouth

You see adverts on tv and in papers for corgi or qualified electricians
    you see travel agents advertising there atow members
    Window companys are fensa members
    Who has ever seen a advert to make sure floorlayers are part of whatever group, I've been doing this job for 17 years but when I started on my own I phoned cfa and get told to phone back when my business is 3 years old how does that help