Where to start off

Discussion in 'Wood' started by John P., Sep 2, 2020.

1. John P.

John P. Member

I'm going to be installing some engineered oak flooring in my living room (see attached layout of room). As you can see, the shape of the room is odd with a curved bay window, chimney breast and alcoves, and a slight curve on one of the other walls where one of the doors is.

I'm thinking of running the boards from the curved bay wall to the wall with the double doors. The question is - for such an odd-shaped room - where is the best place to start? There is no obvious place where a string of boards can be just laid down from one end to the other (except perhaps if I start by butting them up against the chimney breast - there is a bit of wall before the curved bay starts where i can butt the first string on the left hand side).

It would be slightly easier if i went from the alcove/chimney breast wall to the opposite wall, but we're not keen on this orientation.

Any ideas please?

Attached Files:

2. Carpet tucker

Carpet tucker Well-Known Member

Start by the chimney breast as that's the focal point of the room

3. John P.

John P. Member

Thanks Carpet tucker. (By the way, as you can probably tell I'm a DIYer not a tradesman). When would I "fill in" the alcoves? After I've completed the rest of the room or ....?

4. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Personally, i'd usually get at least 3 rows in first, to give me a solid line to work off, then fill in the alcoves, so i can get the spacers in place

5. John P.

John P. Member

Thanks both. Appreciate that.
    Think I know what to do now
    Thanks again

6. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Yeah as above set out form the fireplace. Have you taken the skirts off ?

7. John P.

John P. Member

No. I'm going to have to put beading around. If I take the skirting off, the plaster is going to come off with them (it's an old 30s semi). Done it in the other rooms and had to have them all replastered. I know I should do it in this room as well, but I haven't got the time, money or heart do that any more. I know beading doesn't look as good, but hey-ho.
    Thanks again.

8. Carpet tucker

Carpet tucker Well-Known Member

Use plain timber Scotia and paint to match skirtings

9. John P.

John P. Member

Good advice. Thanks.

10. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Go for quadrant as that looks better with old skirtings

11. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. John P.

John P. Member

Must admit, that looks pretty neat. Thanks again.

13. merit

merit Well-Known Member

That’s what I always use Daz. Looks much neater. If they don’t want to take off the skirting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. John P.

John P. Member

Actually, one thing I forgot to ask. You'll see from the room layout attached that there is a curved bay window. The layout just about accurately depicts the radius of the curve. How would you fit beading in that curve? I've heard people talk about steaming wood to bend it and also cutting short kerfs in the back of the beading to bend it.
    Just wanted to know what you'd advise.

15. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Karhs make a flexible oak beading that’s similar to quadrant. It’s a bit more square shaped but would work around the bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. John P.

John P. Member

Cheers. I'll check that out.